Monday, March 16, 2015

IF THIS BLOG HELPS ONE PERSON OR, IN TODAY'S CASE, A FOUNDATION

In whatever capacity, whether this blog helps those looking to Panama as a future retirement destination (or even vacation spot), gives our family and friends insight to our new life and our settling into retirement, or perhaps encourages anyone that might be looking for a way to help in their own "down time" of retirement, all of this is important to me when I am writing a post.  Sometimes blogs can turn into daily journals, and believe me, I know all about the writing of a journal.  I kept a journal for Carly, our daughter, for sixteen of her wonderful "childhood" years.  I am trying to keep this blog about Panama and its trials and tribulations, its challenges, things we find we like and don't like and not turn it into a daily journal for me and about my "dear diary" days.  I do want to also share the joys of being able to retire, pack up all of our things, travel the country and beyond, and write about the things Ray and I have found to be simple in nature living 24/7 with each other.  I also hope to use it as a means to spread the word of organizations I might stumble upon along the way.

When Ray and I moved to Panama, we looked into different areas that we thought we might be able to volunteer our time.  We had plenty of it, after all.  The long and short of this is that six months into retirement, I found I wanted to invest some time and energy into Woody's House of Hope.  This house is the only empowerment house for at-risk girls.  It is in Penenome about a forty-five minute drive from the Coronado area.   I knew that once I had returned from our trip to Virginia in February and my friends had returned home from their vacation here to Virginia in early March, I needed to make a trip to the house.  I needed to put a final coat of paint on one of the walls in the room Thea and I adopted, I wanted to put a small storage cubby together for our room, but most importantly I needed to talk to MC about my next move in the house.  Where could she put me to use next, basically.  I let my friend Nancy know that I would be going to the house this past Saturday, and if she wanted to stop in on the house and see what it was about, she could take the drive with me.  She had expressed interest in the house and volunteering when she and her husband, Paul, had Ray and I for breakfast with her guests and our friends, Brenda and Dave, a few weeks ago.  Not only does Nancy now own a bed and breakfast (http://www.sunrisesunsetgh.com) with Paul, but she was also a former hairdresser and dental office manager when she lived in the States.  Her dental office sounds like a dream.  Back on track, Nancy wanted to offer her services as a hairstylist to the girls living in the house while there. And what's wonderful would be that once Nancy sees the house and spends time talking to MC, I know she will spread the word to her close knit group of friends.  These friends may be able to offer volunteer hours, or donations of money or incidentals for the house. Along with bringing Nancy to the house this past Saturday, I had told MC that I had a friend here, and we loaded my SUV up with bags and bags of donated goods not only for the girls, but also for the orphanage, and I would be unloading this into the house, as well.  Thanks Nancy, and the girls, for helping with the unloading, because there were so many bags!
And a fan that works, too!

I told Nancy this was my first long drive in Panama, lucky her.  After passing the house once, turning left in what was not really a left turn, passing by a group of six to eight policemen standing on the side of the road with a police Van, and then being waved through the road block being set up once we made our turn around, we arrived to the house with six girls, one father and MC inside.  There are now six girls living in the house!  This is really great, but also has its challenges of now there are six, and not two, or four, anymore!

MC and I formulated a plan.  She sees me as an "organizer".  And this I like, because this is something I feel I can do for her with help or solo.  Two of the six girls wanted their hair cut that day.  And it's a good thing there were only two of them for the day, because they both wanted long layers.  And long layers takes time.  So we put Nancy to work while I continued to chat.  Nancy did such a great job, and she, too, chatted with MC about future appointments with the girls.
This pretty girl asked Nancy for long layers, but a shorter haircut.


And this sweet girl asked Nancy for long layers, but she still wanted her long hair.
 I didn't even think (until I was almost out the door) that I could have been doing something, anything, such as painting, since I knew I would be returning again soon.  The wall will still be there, and the library is waiting for me.  What is really needed for this space are bookshelves and more of them!  The man that was working with MC on the house has not been coming around of late.  She is unsure where he went off to, since she hasn't been able to contact him.  The good is that there are many bookshelves already in place.  The bad is there are many, many books still needing to be shelved.  This room is going to serve as an office/study/library for MC and the girls.

Which brings me to today and my putting that final coat of paint on the wall of the bedroom.  I knew exactly where the paint was (made sure of this on Saturday), I knew where the cubes were that I wanted to put together as a small storage unit for the room, and I knew a little bit of what I could get done in a few hours in the library.  MC's friend, Marisol, would be at the house to help me.  Ray and I drove out to a locked house.  Long story short is that Marisol arrived and didn't have keys to the house, and the girls that did have keys had locked the entire house.  Makes sense, of course, but they had gone to school today (they didn't have classes last week).  They were right down the road at the University.  But they didn't have phones, or they weren't able to answer them (again, makes sense), and they wouldn't return to the house for another two hours or so.  Marisol, a wonderful woman and friend, spoke Spanish very slowly to us.  She is so sweet!  She even said there was a lot of work to be done today.  I agreed.  But it was decided that we would drive her back to her house, and in the future, I can always pick her up on the way to House of Hope, and she will help me with the library.  She will have keys.  I was more frustrated for MC who was receiving phone calls while she was trying to do her full-time teaching job at the school.  She was trying to make contact with one of the girls.  Like Ray and I said on the trip back to Chame, I have time to offer, and things happen.  I will go out another day.  I am being really anal retentive about that wall needing a second coat of paint!

There is some exciting news about Woody's House of Hope I have to include in this post.  Skye, the President of the JLM Christian Foundation, started a fundraiser in February.  It was called The Money Bomb Competition.  This was new to me.  It was the second annual It Takes A Village fundraiser.  Last year, there was a race, but this year, individuals, teams and businesses competed to raise the most money in one month in whatever fashion (a few examples were:  selling lemonade, baked goods, providing movie night, an Intimate Musical Evening with catered food, even cover charge money to listen to bands raised was to be donated, etc).  When this campaign ended this past Saturday, the GRAND TOTAL RAISED for Woody's House of Hope is, drumroll please, $7911.90!  Wow!  That is beyond fantastic!  And the winner (the person who raised the most money out of all the competitors and raise over $1000) will receive a $1000 cash prize at the Open House in April. 

 This prize is being awarded by United Country Panama.

The sole purpose of this post is to put the word out again about MC (her mission work), the JLMChristian Foundation and, most importantly, Woody's House of Hope.  In one post, I wrote that a plumber or handyman was needed to install a kitchen faucet.  Check that off the list.  This was put in place by friends not too long ago.  Now I am putting the word out that a carpenter or handyman is needed to build shelves for the library.  And to repair some other wood work in the house for MC.  And, below I have included the list of things MC is asking for at this time for the house.

Finally, there is an OPEN HOUSE FOR ALL.  Everyone is welcome. Here's hoping for a huge turnout, and that more volunteers will come out to support this wonderful cause in Panama.

Saturday, April 11 11-4  
For more information, go to this link http://jlmchristianfoundation.org/panama.html

OFFICIAL GRAND OPENING OF WOODY'S HOUSE OF HOPE!
COME OUT AND SEE THE HOUSE AND MEET THE GIRLS!
WHEN? SATURDAY, APRIL 11TH
WHERE? PENONOME

DIRECTIONS: 
#1. PASS THRU THE TOWN OF ANTON
 #2. ONCE YOU SEE THE MACHETAZO ON YOUR LEFT SLOW DOWN
 #3. YOU WILL SEE A GAS STATION ON THE LEFT.
#4. THE WOODY'S HOUSE OF HOPE IS ACROSS THE HIGHWAY FROM THE GAS STATION, ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY. :)
#5. DRIVE INTO THE FRONT YARD.
#6. EAT SNACKS, DRINK AND MEET THE GIRLS AND SEE THE HOUSE. 


Ways to donate:  
At the website, donations can be made via Paypal.  
There is a box at Picasso Restaurant in Coronado.  

Things to donate: 
Food (MEATS--all kinds, rice, beans, lentils, milk, eggs, flour, sugar)
Feminine hygiene products---only sanitary napkins, please 
Clothing (for ages 18 and up) 
Graduation, prom, wedding or bridesmaid dresses for QuinceaƱera (celebration of a girl's 15th birthday)--these are for the Orphanage

Wanted:
Handyman

Email to: houseofhopepanama@gmail.com with questions or to volunteer!
Visit and like facebook page JLM House of Hope Panama for information on to see current events!














No comments:

Post a Comment