Tuesday, September 30, 2014

USA OUTLET IN PANAMA...NOT QUITE

We are off on another shopping adventure to the store that has Ropa Americana, or American Apparel (according to our Spanish teacher and other expats).  Apparently out west in Penonomé (about an hour from here), there are furniture, clothing and houseware stores.  There are also outlets with clothing from the US, not China.  This morning en route to the gym, Ray had plans for tomorrow and Thursday lined up, and then he came up with today's adventure.  We are to pick Clyde and Terry up shortly, go to El Machetazo for lunch (the cafe inside) and then we will hit the road to check this town out.  Funny that we have driven by it several times, and the USA Outlet is on the main highway, but none of us have noticed it.  Maybe we were always paying attention to the McDonalds, because this is a popular "restroom break", or ice cream stop, when traveling to Pedasi and beyond.

But first, I had a big "to do" last week.  After our trek to the movie theater on Wednesday, we had our Spanish lesson on Thursday.  We had over a week to practice, and we really had practiced speaking a lot of Spanish.  Maybe not what the lesson was on paper, but we had practiced quite a bit of Spanish in the nearby stores, restaurants, and malls.  We had a lot of conversation with our teacher that morning.  And this week, we will have more conversation.  I have her jumping around a bit, because there are sentences that I would like to know now and be able to use today.  This week, we will learn more restaurant lingo.

After Spanish (which I wanted to go on forever because of the next errand on the list), I had the plan to see Dr. Levy to have my big toenail removed.  DISCLAIMER:  I will not go into detail about the procedure (just the visit) unless asked about it.  I will say that I asked Dr. Levy the prior week about my one toenail.  This nail has been treated for almost two years for a traumatic injury (dropped a large spice jar on it over the holidays one December) and also, yes, fungal issues.  I have treated the later issue for years with a podiatrist mind you, and this one nail was not cooperating.  So when Dr. Levy put the word "infection" with "you only have 25% remaining of the nail" with "why don't you just have it removed?", while aghast at his suggestion/recommendation, it just made sense.  This is why I went back to him a week later.  There he was in the reception area at the front desk when Ray and I walked into the office.  He asked how we were, and what he could do for us.  As soon as I said I was ready to have my toenail removed, he looked at me and remembered me by asking "so you gave it thought and you want to do this?"  Yes, let's just do it.  Within a minute of sitting down in the reception area (a few people had just left the office, and others came in after me, so it isn't like this office is empty of patients), the receptionist called me to the room.  Ray stayed with me until the anesthesia was given (and yes, I looked at the needle and asked questions about the anesthetic--Lidocaine--and spoke dentistry), and I then asked Dr. Levy how many of these procedures he had done in the past.  I didn't want to know until my toe was numb, because I didn't want to back out.  He removes at least one toenail a week.  He shrugged it off.  He explained that the workmen in Panama wear those big, heavy boots, and with the humidity and moisture here, they all have this fungal issue.  He shrugged it off as a no big deal thing. The toenail is gone, my toe is wrapped up, and I am told to unwrap it in two or three days.  I can swim once it is unwrapped, and I only need to see him if I sense a problem or concern.  And only to use warm soapy water on it.  This whole process again took less than 30 minutes from time I walked in until I paid my bill of $34 ($40 without discount).  He told me the cost at my last visit, and this was the cost.  He recommended any over the counter pain medicine that I would normally take, and I decided to take a few then and there just in case.  I wanted to be ahead of any pain or a heartbeat feeling in my toe.  Again, an excellent visit with Dr. Levy.

Being the great patient that I am, I suggested to Ray that we go to Coronado Cafe for breakfast.  It is only open Thursday-Sunday in rainy season, and I thought a good cup of coffee would settle my shakiness.  I didn't shake during the procedure, but for some reason I always get a little jittery after a procedure.  Okay, the only procedure I can relate this to is my Lasix surgery fifteen years ago.  We had a great breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, potatoes with bacon and onions (Ray, of course), coffee (for me which is like cappuccino here).  For being in the beach town of Coronado and to have a tasty meal, I thought the $8 for breakfast was fantastic!
Just what I needed!
We then hobbled (me) over to Novey.  I had an ace bandage type "hat" on my toe.  For the rest of Thursday and Friday, we basically had to run to the bank (we are making small deposits from our US account into the bank here, so we have money on hand, if necessary, and also to keep the account active), and then I laid around and watched talk tv and a few "Breaking Bad" episodes.  And I think we stopped by Cafe Viana (a bakery on the way to Coronado) for a slice of quiche and butter cream cookie to share--all in moderation!

Saturday I did the unveiling of my toe, and it wasn't a big deal.  It felt better without the "hat" on it.  Terry had told us about a DJ that would be at Picasso's (a restaurant in Coronado where many expats hang out) that night.  We decided to meet there even though I knew I wouldn't be dancing (maybe in my seat).  We thought the DJ would play rock, pop and salsa which is what the white board sign outside the restaurant had written on it.  But there was more unrecognizable salsa than any other music, so besides eating dinner there and the guys drinking some beer, we mostly just sat outside to meet and chat loudly with one another.

 Sunday we had made plans to join Clyde and Terry while visiting with friends of theirs in Punta Chame.  This couple first started renting a condominium at the resort where our gym is (which is how Clyde and Terry met them), and then they moved into a brand new house about thirty minutes down the road from the resort.  Ray and I had been to Punta Chame once before to see the beach.  This couple's house is on the main road behind a large white wall and gate.  It is a beautiful three bedroom house with a very large outdoor patio and pool.  We sat with them outside for four hours talking about everything and anything.  Time goes by here in Panama.  We then tried to eat a restaurant which is part of a hotel on the beach.  When we arrived there was one person in the pool, and the restaurant was empty.  We gave the hostess something to do by finding us a table to sit at outside.  We then ordered water while looking at the menu.  The dinner menu is pricey (location, location, location, and $18 and up for dinner entrees which wasn't what we really were looking for).  We found burgers and sandwiches, but these were part of the lunch menu.  We wondered aloud if what we wanted from this menu would be available.  We waited for our waitress to return with our water and to ask her our question.  She didn't return.  We decided not to wait any longer.  If this was the time to wait for water (yes, when in Panama, you wait) and not know if we could order something on the lighter side of the lunch menu, we chose to leave.  While walking back to the car, we saw the waitress talking to some friends.  She hadn't made it to the kitchen.  She saw us coming, and she went to get our water?  Maybe?  Oh well, we chose to go to El Pampero instead.  El Pampero is a restaurant Ray and I have been to in the past with Clyde and Terry.  It is along the main highway, and it always packed with Panamanians.  There is a huge local following.  What looked to be surfer guys covered in tattoos with dreadlocks along with their wives, babies and children and many other young families were coming into the restaurant on a late Sunday night.  Everyone was ordering the $1.50 Sausage sandwiches.  They were flying out of the kitchen.  At El Pampero, there is a refrigerated bakery style case that has many varieties of chorizo and homemade bread.  Also sold there is Picante sauce and Chimichurri sauce.  Clyde and Terry told Ray how great these little sandwiches were so he ordered three in the same flavor (Chorizo Español).  It had a little kick to it.  Along with it, papas fritas (what else haha).  Clyde ordered the same (one),  while Terry and I had chicken, pantacones and salad.  Our meal (mine) totaled a little over $10. We all agreed that the next time we go, Ray will order all different flavor sandwiches, and we will have a tasting of them.  The Español was delicious with the bread, so now we want to try the other chorizo.  I should note here that while we aren't always looking for cheap food (when I note prices), we just know that at a restaurant that is serving a piece of chicken and a salad for $15 along with poor to no service, we can find atmosphere and the same flavorful food for less.  Ray and I will visit the touristy restaurants, bakeries and cafes (although in rainy season there aren't too many of these open daily), but we also enjoy the local places.  A little bit of this and a little bit of that will keep our budget in check.  We have a number of restaurants to experience--one day and meal at a time.

Which brings us to yesterday!  Boy, for not doing anything this past week, it seems like we did something.  I successfully put on my gym shoes (wasn't sure if there would be any soreness involved), and we went to the gym.  I only used the weights.  No need to start jamming my toe too soon on the treadmill.  We checked out some stores along the main highway here that we hadn't been into yet, we drove down some unknown roads (I was looking for a school that we are going to volunteer at this Saturday called Finca La Maya---more on this after Saturday),  and I learned (while reading another blog on Friday night) that San Carlos Hospital also offers mammograms.  San Carlos Hospital is a public hospital nearby with an emergency room and lab, but no inpatient rooms.  It has ambulance services (good to know) and is open to public and private patients.   Not only did we want to locate this hospital in case of an emergency, but I wanted to ask if I needed an appointment for a mammogram.  Terry also received confirmation that she could have hers done here as well.  The doctor suggested this hospital to her, because while the San Fernando Clinic in Coronado now does mammograms, it would be much more expensive.  Inside the hospital we went where I found a nurse exiting the radiology department and asked her if I needed an appointment.  She said yes, so we found another desk and stood in line to ask where we made the appointment.  Rather than waiting in a line for whatever reason, we decided we would revisit the hospital with Terry to schedule both appointments.  (Today Terry and I decided we will go one morning to get a jump on the crowd to try and accomplish this task.)

Another thing to happen in those non-eventful days was that Ray made brownies and in just under ninety minutes, they were done baking!  I won't be baking too much in this oven.  The oven heats up the kitchen anyways, so we use the grill and crockpot mostly.  I have looked into baking in the crockpot also when we have a craving for chocolate.  And then there were more "Breaking Bad" and late bedtimes.

Onto our adventure today!  First stop was at the Cafe at El Machetazo for lunch.  (As usual, my cupboard and refrigerator are bare until we visit PriceMart this week!)  This is a cafeteria style lunch, and today, there was a huge spread of really good entrees to select from all costing about $4 total.   We sat next to a couple that Clyde and Terry know, and we had good conversation with them while eating.  We then drove to Penonome in search of the USA Outlet store.  We found the sign, we found the plaza, and we found the guard who told Clyde that the USA Outlet store is no more.  It is now a discoteca.  Even though I found the website online, and I found the location, it didn't mean the store was really there.  We browsed an "interesting" furniture store with the salesman following the four of us upstairs as well.  The furniture had an Asian flare and was thousands of dollars for many "original" pieces.  I am sure no one else would have anything like it.  And maybe there is someone that likes it, just not us.  We remembered being told that there was another USA clothing store in the next town "just down the road" in Aguadulce.  Ray, our driver, took us to that town, and we found the clothing store.  Importadora Americana housed Kohls, JC Penney, Crocs, Roxy, Bongo, Toms brand shoes and more at discounted prices.  The racks were unorganized with sizes mostly in the Junior numbers of 0, 5, and 7.  The prices weren't anything like Dorian's at Albrook Mall.  There was a good selection of pool floats, and nicely priced outdoor furniture along with picture frames, Target brand Tupperware and bathroom accessories.  We walked out empty handed.  The only thing left to do was take a "restroom break" in Penonome (anyone want ice cream?).  Once back to Chame, it was dinnertime, so we drove a little farther to Delizz where we sat outside having ceviche, salads, papas fritas (I won't name who), and chicken.  Ray and I had been here once before, and we weren't disappointed tonight.  A good end to a day that started out "with a plan".  But when in Panama, always have a Plan B.
Random picture as seen in the grocery store (free cereal bowl)

Two plus hours west of Panama City, there must be Hokies fans! ($9.99)

We found the outlet store in Aguadulce!

These are the brands found inside (if you look long and hard enough).

Clyde 

No comments:

Post a Comment